Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Update on Jen



I haven't shared this blog with many people yet as I really haven't had the time lately to work on it like I had intended. I wanted to post an update about my treatment and let everyone know that I'm doing really well. My surgeries (yes plural) went well and they have completely removed my thryoid. The cancer had spread to my lymph nodes so I'll be doing Radioactive Iodine Therapy (RAI) in mid June - probably the 12th. I'll have to stay in a lead lined room at the hospital for 1-2 days and drink TONS of water to flush it out of my system. Then I'll stay at my parents house in the guest room (where I'll have access to a private bath) for probably another 5-8 days. At the hospital they will bring things to me and slide them under the door! I think it will feel like I'm in the nut house - probably not a bad place for me anyway! Anything I bring in (books etc) will be discarded when I leave. No e-mail or eBay for me for 2 days! I will be crazy!

At home (my Mom's) I'll have to use paper plates etc., flush the toilet 2x after each use, wipe down the shower after use. I'll have to be 6 ft. away from my parents or more at all times, but can see them in 5 min periods after a few days. Crazy stuff! If the kids weren't so little I could probably go home after 3 days, but since they won't understand why I have to stay away from them it's not worth the trauma (or risk) to exposing them to Mommy.

The Friday after "I get nuked" I'll have a full body scan and they can determine if the cancer had spread anywhere else besides my neck. I'll have those scans about every 6 months going forward and hopefully will remain cancer free.

Ok - I promise to keep you all updated but this blog was supposed to be about the fun times with the family and our kids! So if I'm not posting enough information just e-mail me!!! I also have another "cool" scar to add to my collection so I've posted a picture....plus, it's really cute of Tyler.

1 comment:

Lisa Harris said...

Jen, This is a cool blog you set up...your kids are beautiful...enjoy every second girl....cause you will wake up and they will be 10 like my Katie and not wanna hug or hold you hand...

I know the time you spend away from your family will be hard...pls..pls let me know if you need anything...I can help in anyway since I am a domestic goddess for the rest of the summer...I will be out of town for the next 2 week but, back on June 13 Katie and I leave for beach and then horse camp and I am staying in Savannah with my girlfriend...LOL Lisa